Saturday, September 26, 2009

When I was a child.

I will openly admit that I am not as mature as I should be. I often get carried away, go too far, and end up not only embarrassing myself, but even worse, I tarnish God’s name. I don’t bring God any glory at all when I act like a child. When I was a child, I spake as a child…but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Far, far, far too often in my life, I don’t put away those things. I keep playing a game too far, and go too long. I still think like a child, act like a child, and understand like a child.

If it’s fun, I do it. If I want to do it, I do it. If I like it, I do it.

If it’s boring, I don’t do it. If I don’t want to I don’t. If I don’t like it, I don’t do it.

However, in the verses leading up to this verse (I Corinthians 13:11) Paul is strictly talking about love, and we know “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”

See, a MAN has no greater love than to give his life, his desires, and his will up for others.
A MAN loves other more than self.

A CHILD does what the CHILD needs to do. It eats when hungry. Sleeps when tired. Goes to the bathroom when it has to go to the bathroom. Vulgar? Sure. True? Yes sir.

I am constantly embarrassing myself in public, and it’s very obvious that I follow myself and my desires much, much more often than I follow God’s will.

A MAN lays down his life. A CHILD lives to follow its own will.
God has been kicking my butt with this verse for a long time now. I realize I’m not near as much a man as I should be, and it hinders my ability to properly glorify God, and get the gospel to a lost and dying world.

When I was a child, I spake as a child…but when I became a man, I put away childish things. If I truly love God like I say I do, I would lay my commandments down, and the truth, from the bible is this:

If you love God, you’ll keep His commandments. You’ll lay down your life, and you’ll put away childish things.

1 comment: