Saturday, December 5, 2009

I like football (that's soccer for you Americans)

I sold a 2500 dollar espresso machine at work today. I was pretty happy about that.

Anyway.

Since Thursday, we've really done some major work at the church, and we've still got lots to go. Even if it's an hour, would you please stop by and help us?

We've put up walls, torn some wood apart, painted walls, changed lights and tiles, cleaned closets, sanded, eaten about 40 Papa John's pizzas and done a few other things as well.

I'm super exhausted right now, but I'm having a blast all the same. Once Sunday ends, I'll go back to a "normal" schedule: Wake up, work, school, bed, repeat till Thursday.

And I'm not really excited about that. I'd much rather be working at the church, and not get paid, than spend 8 hours a day at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Once I wake up Thursday, my week really picks up. I don't work Thursdays and Fridays, so I get to dedicate both those days to doing ministry work. I kinda like to pretend that I'm full time ministry, even if it's just for those two days.

And Saturdays aren't too bad. I get off at 5pm, and that leaves me a good bit of time to do some serious studying and work at church.

Drew's staying with us tonight. Everyone's at Moe’s, or looking at Christmas lights right now. I'm blogging. Some people are vacuuming and a few others are goofing around on facebook and other various sites.

The Caps are beating the Flyers 8-2 right now. This makes me happy. Man City beat Chelsea, Barcelona won, Depor lost, and all is well. The only thing that stopped today from being awesome (sports wise) would be that Liverpool could only manage a draw.

And Sevilla drew today. If Valencia win tomorrow, we'll be in third place in Líga. That would be really good.

Sometimes, I wonder if Torres turns on his TV, and gets jealous of Villa. Even though they're both word class strikers, Liverpool are playing like a mid-table club this year (so far) and Valencia have had a pretty decent season so far. Or does Villa even realize that Torres is getting jealous? Just wondering.

And when you're streaking down field at the goal, nothing else seems to matter, all you can hear is the crowd, you only feel your body pumping, and can all but count the goal scored. But when you're the guy who gets to slide out to create space, you realize that someone else is going to score the goal. And the fact is that if you didn't create space for it, there would be no goal, but the other guy is the one being carried off the field on everyone's shoulders.

And other times, you'll keep running goal ward, even though you know you need to be making space, just to prove you're faster, or that you can make a run just as well as that guy, or even just to remind everyone you're on the pitch.

And once you score one goal, all you can do from then on is shoot as soon as you touch the ball. You'll be 35 yards away from goal, shooting with your weak foot, but you're still going to shoot, just in the chance you might get a second goal.

But really, not even Villa, Torres, Rooney, Drogba, Navas, Fabiano or anyone scores every game. And sometimes they have to settle for no goals in a week. But as long as the team wins, all is well. And the thing that they all learned is not to force it, because you'll take a bad shot, and just make a fool of yourself.

Problems don't start until a wanna-be starlet, who netted one lucky goal, thinks he's the man, and deserves to be first team, or starts freaking out because he hasn't scored in 5 games.

I dunno. Defense is important; everyone needs a keeper, and midfielders are the ones who feed the ball to the front. And without all those guys, a striker would be nothing. But there's still nothing better than being a striker.



--Pray for Spain. Pray that the Lord would raise up missionaries and native Spaniards to take the gospel to the millions of lost souls in Spain.--

No comments:

Post a Comment