Saturday, October 17, 2009

It will make a beautiful curve.

As far as soccer goes, I'm mot much in the way of anything special. In fact, I'm actually quite lame. However, that doesn't change the fact that I love it above all other sports.

Last night, I was playing soccer with a guy named Joseph. We were just kicking the ball around, not really anything serious, and I was asking if he knew how to do a trivela kick, aka a bananna kick. Basically, a trivela kick is when you curve your shot in the opposit direction of it's natural curve.

For example, a right footed shot normal curves from the shooter's right to the shooter's left. A right footed trivela kick will curve from the shooter's left to the shooter's right.

The trivela is a very effective shot in that it curves a good bit, making it harder for the goalie to stop it, and it also looks very pretty when done properly.

Now, I'm not anything special at soccer, and quite far from it, but none the less, I still want to learn to do trivelas.

I asked Joseph what advice he had about my trivela shot, and he replied,

"Just kick it as hard as you can. Use a lot of power. If you do it right, it will make a beautiful curve. You're trying to curve the ball, not shoot the ball. Just shoot it, and let it curve naturally."

And he was right. Rather than trying to strike the ball perfectly, or just right, he told me just to blast it, and let the curve happen naturally.

Turns out that he was right. In a big way. At the time, I was excited to just be able to have a semi-decent trivela. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the principle of a trivela applies to a Christian life.

As Christians, we are supposed to be working for the Lord as much as possible, and with reverence. Are we to have devotion, dedication, goals, and an aim? Yes! But we leave the results to God. Paul planted, Apollos watered, and God gave the increase.

Much like a trivela, where all I have to do is strike the ball as hard as I can and let it curve on its own, a Christian just has to work as hard as possible, and let God provide the results.
(I studued in Proverbs today, but I'll have that devotion up tomorrow)

--Pray for Spain. Pray that the Lord would raise up missionaries and native Spaniards to take the gospel to the millions of lost souls in Spain.--

No comments:

Post a Comment