Friday, October 2, 2009

I Cor 1-3

I did my morning Bible study in Spanish today, and because my Spanish is not as good as it should be, I read a slower pace than had I read in English.

Anyway.
Chapter 1:

Paul writes about divisions here, and basically says that they're childish, because we all serve the same God.

He also wrote about how he didn't baptize many people: a family and two other people. The reason for this, I think, is that he was too busy spreading the Word of God to stop and baptize (vs 17).

This just shows that Paul was a man of action, and that's something I strive to be.

He also mentions that small things will confound big things, and the foolish will confound the wise. Much like God choosing, at least through the world's eyes, less than average men and women to carry the Gospel. If you look at some of the most powerful people for God, you would be suprised at how "normal" they were before God got a hold of them. Just like Paul.

Chapter 2:

Paul starts off this chapter talking about how his words aren't very powerful, and Paul's preaching isn't very good. Then he says that the words the Lord speaks through him are powerful, and the message God preaches through Paul is an amazing message.

(This and Nem 8:8 are two passages I really like. I always worry about not having a "good" sermon when I preach/teach, but all I really have to do is teach the Book. I Cor 2:4: "My speech was not with enticing words...but in demonstration of the Spirit's power.)

Chapter 3:

Paul talks about another thing I often worry about. I've presented the Gospel to quite a few people, and, to be totally honest, most of them either rejected it, or laughed at me and told me to shut up.

I often put myself under immense pressure to lead people to the Lord, yet I am not told to save them. I am told to tell them, and let God grow the increase.

This was something I learned at the missions conference, but still struggle with. I'm really scared, sometimes, that I'll get to Spain, and the people there are just going to ignore me, my message, and I'll have a low number of converts. While this may happen, I still did my thing, be it watering or planting, and God loves me just as much then as He did when He died on the cross for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment