Friday, November 20, 2009

it's all Greek to me.

In the last week or so, I've really, really been studying out God's love and acceptance. And I came across two verses that seemed really contradictory.

(2Co 5:9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.)
This seems like Paul say that we work so that the Lord will accept us.

Eph 1:6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved
(This makes it seem like we're already accepted.)

So, I sent pastor Gardner an email about it. After reading one response he sent, I checked out the Greek used in the verses. (Which is a very basic study method, but it seems to have slipped mind)

What I found was very surprising.

In 2 Cor 5:9 the word accepted comes from the Greek word εὐάρεστος while the word accepted in Eph 1:6 comes from the Greek word χαριτόω.

Though I don't know much about the Greek language, or the characters used in int, I do know that χαριτόω and εὐάρεστος aren't the same thing.

And here's what really, really surprised me. the Greek word χαριτόω is only used twice in scripture. Once in Eph 1:6, and another time in Luke 1:28, when we read that Mary was "highly favoured."

Maybe I'm getting overly excited about this, but it seems really awesome to me.

Mary, mother of God. Kyle Shreve-Young, accepted. And we stand on equal ground in the Lord's eyes.

Gotta love those Greeks.

--Pray for Spain. Pray that the Lord would raise up missionaries and native Spaniards to take the gospel to the millions of lost souls in Spain.--

No comments:

Post a Comment