Monday, October 5, 2009

Facts, numbers, and apathy.

So, when it comes to missionaries giving their presentations, some of them really like to throw around their statistics. They'll get up on stage, give their speech, show their video, and, at some point, will say, "The country where I'm going is only 2% Christian." (Or whatever percentage it might be.)

And I've heard it all over the place, in many different states, from many different mouths.

"I think those stats were stretched a bit. He wanted to make the need look greater."
"I wonder where those stats came from. They don't seem very accurate.""I bet that guy's lying so we'll feel guilty and want to support him."

I've heard it many, many times.

Are there some people who really do stretch the truth? I'm almost sure of it.
Are there some people who lie about stats? I'm almost positive.
Are there some guilt-trippers? I'm almost certain.

However, I'd like to think that the majority of missionaries really do come with the most accurate facts they have, and don't really stretch the truth at all.

And even if they did stretch the truth, so what? That still doesn't change the fact that there is a world on its way to hell, and we're just sitting here, making excuses, and trying to defame people who are actually trying to do something so that we'll feel better about our apathy.

The country of Spain has about 46 million people living there. I've done a good bit of research about religion in Spain, and the highest, most liberal number of reported evangelical Christians (not just Baptists, but anyone under the evangelical name) to be 400, 000. But since I'm stretching those facts, or so you say, let's triple them. Let's say there are 1.2 million evangelicals in Spain.

With the facts tripled that still means only about 2% of Spain claims to be evangelical, and that's assuming they're all born again. Let's also not mention the close to two million muslims living there, and that between 5 to 10% of Spain's population is homosexual. We won't mention that. It'll be easier for you to be apathetic.

We have a choice. We can either continue to make excuse to make our apathy look good, and attack the ones who do care about world evangelism, or we can start actively getting involved in doing something.

I'm going to do something.
--Pray for Spain. Pray that the Lord would raise up missionaries and native Spaniards to take the gospel to the millions of lost souls in Spain.--

No comments:

Post a Comment